CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 26, 2010

04/26/2010 (Burgos Area w/new comp. Elder Pangan)

2nd Transfer!
New companion: Elder Pangan (from the Philippines)
Roommates: Elder Hale and Elder Hanks

(This first part of the letter was actually sent to Matthew. Jason doesn’t like repeating himself so combines all our emails into one now!)

Funny that you should say “don’t get attacked by rats” cuz this week right before transfer me and my companion were planning and a bat flew through the door and smacked the wall so we go running to see it. We took pictures of it and stuff then tied two hangers together to get the bat out. I gave my comp a pillowcase as a shield and the hangers oh and I have a flashlight behind him as a spotlight and we walk up to it and at first we’re thinking it can’t fly cause we throw paper balls at it and it just flopped around. So we get it hooked to these hangers and we flick it out on to the roof cause where we sleep it’s upstairs and it has a balcony over next to the roof of the kitchen and stuff so we flick it out on the roof and we’re just watching it and all of a sudden it starts to turn like slowly turn towards us and then it flies right towards us. So Elder Saet freaks out and holds the pillowcase up and does like this backwards shuffle and knocks us down and the bat bounced off his pillowcase and latches on to our screen door. We gather the courage back up and we go after it, after a little while we flicked it off and it flew off. But the best is at the mtc the old health guy that gives you the health spiel before you leave talked about bats and he said if you get bit by a bat you’ll get rabies and die so I’m think this thing is scary. But needless to say we survived.

But yes me and Elder Hale are still together we both got new companions. I got a Native again and Elder Hale got an American.

O and I baptized 2 of our investigators Saturday! Yep I got my feet wet. It was funny cause one of them was 10 years old and I said the prayer and got him like basically to the water but stopped cause he wasn’t plugging his nose so I was like plug your nose and finally he did and when he was under he let go and kinda freaked out. I pulled him up and he was smiling and was like that was fun “isa pa isa pa” which means “once more once more” haha! It was awesome! When he first got in the font he was splashing around and swimming and his mom yelled at him and was like “cut it out”. It was funny. His mom was explaining that he’s never been in a pool before so it was really exciting for him. Haha! But anyways I got to get going - love ya bud! Jason

k so my new comp is Elder Pangan. He’s a native so my Tagalog is getting way better. It’s pretty difficult right now. Elder Saet was really good at English so we talked a lot of English but now it’s different but it’s good. Like the first day I realized I can say way way more than I thought and now I talk to all our investigators about just everyday stuff and not just the gospel so its going to be good for me.

I did stay in the same area, Elder Hale got an American comp, Elder Hanks, but ya so we’re just working our butts off. Pouring sweat everyday, eating lots of rice, the usual stuff. It was cool at transfer I got to see everyone I came in with except Elder Riner but I see him like once a week so that’s ok. I felt bad for him though because he didn’t get to come.

Anyways, I don’t know what else to say but it was cool doing my first baptism obviously! I’m planning on sending pictures back home soon so you can see. Have a good week! o I almost forgot … but I need you to send me gold bond powder stuff just the body powder it prevents stickiness get the medicated stuff, they don’t sell any of that here. Also med short garment bottoms you can’t buy the kind I have here and medium tops the drop neck or V-neck thing whatever you call it. (Don't ask me what happened to the 12 pairs he took with him when he left just 5 months ago! He's probably wanting enough so he only has to wash them once a month! HEEHEE!) Then an Eastmans hunting magazine. Make sure it’s Eastmans, you can send the last 3 or 4 issues I've missed and that’s it.

love ya, Jas

2 comments:

  1. I served in this same mission from 2004 - 2006 and was in that area, Burgos, for about 3 months in 2005. Like your son says, it is a very, very small and remote area. It experienced incredibly fast growth several years ago and originally became a stake, but a couple years ago was made a district again. Here's a cool article about this area and the great man behind it, President Martin. He's a great man and I'm sure has treated your son very well since he's been in Burgos.

    Anyways, here's an article that appeared in the Liahona several years ago if you're interested.
    http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=ba3676e6ffe0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

    God bless.

    P.S. - If your son is able to visit Mabini (a small area that was part of our area in Burgos back then), please have him say "Hi" to the Iliw Iliw family from E. Sparks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jesse! I have read that article about his area. I need to ask him if he knows the Martins. I will have him say hi for you if he is ever in Mabini!

    ReplyDelete