CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Journey to the Philippines!

Elder Ward left the MTC around 4 p.m. on March 8, 2010, for the SLC Airport. After getting checked in and all their luggage weighed in (all the Elders luggage weighed in at 50 pounds or under - Jason said this was a miracle!) ... all the missionaries were allowed to call home (I understand there were about 40 or so missionaries heading to the Philippines - not all on the same flight .... but would eventually end up in Manila together.) There were 6 Elders in Jason's travel group.

We got to speak with Jason at around 6:30 p.m. He seemed so excited and happy to be headed to the Philippines and especially to be out of the MTC. I loved hearing the excitement in his voice. He bore his testimony in Tagalog which sounded awesome .... even though I have no idea what he said. It was amazing to me how fast he was talking in Tagalog. He talked to Robert, Eric, and I for a few minutes then decided it would be a great time to call Elder Matthew Ward in Puerto Rico. (I had his number from when he called home at Christmas time.) Matthew kept saying, "What are you doing, man?" (Not sure if he thought he might be breaking a mission rule or what! - I hope to find that out later!) Then, Matthew ended up giving big brother, Jason, some new missionary tips and advice. (Have yet to hear what that advice was!) I would have loved to hear their conversation! No time in SLC to call us back - so at 7:45 they were off to the LAX Airport!

They landed in Los Angeles about 9:45 p.m. our time ... and called us about 11:00 or so ... he told us that one of the Elders saw Shawne Merriman (NFL San Diego Chargers player) and they talked to him and I think gave him a passalong card. When they were about to board - someone told them they were in the wrong line and tried to get them to board with the pilots! I guess missionaries do look like pilots?! They boarded and headed off for their 15 hour flight to Taipei, Taiwan! I was hoping to be able to hear from Jason again in Taiwan but really wasn't getting my hopes up!

I did make sure I was home by 3:10 p.m. just in case Jason called again. Sure enough about 5:50 p.m. the phone rang (private caller) and of course I answered. It was Jason calling from Taiwan. I asked him if he was tired ... he said he wasn't tired at all - he had a good 15 hour nap! They were all hungry when they got off the plane - it was 6:10 a.m. in Taiwan - but they still were able to get some food by pointing at what they wanted (cuz they didn't understand a word anyone was saying), got their chopsticks, and all tried to eat their food. (He kept telling us that he was going to get a BIG steak dinner in the airport - but it didn't happen.) Jason said the food was really good though! A bunch of the Elders bought International Calling Cards and called home again. Jason tried to call Andrea in England - but she didn't hear her phone ring and didn't answer so he left her a short message on the answering machine (it was 1:30 a.m. in England). I loved hearing all the commotion in the background! While Jason was helping another Elder with his calling card - ours got cut off and that was the end of our conversation. Oh well - we know that he is definitely happy and excited to get to the Philippines!!! Only one more flight to go!

On one of the layovers - they got to talk to a Filipino family. They talked to them in Tagalog and they kept asking how long it took them to learn Tagalog and they were all like 2 months. The family was pretty shocked that they were speaking it so well! : ) Jason kept saying how NICE this family was.

At 9:30 a.m. Taiwan time they boarded another plane to Manila, Philippines, and arrived there at 11:45 a.m. (Wednesday) which is 8:45 p.m. (Tuesday) our time. They basically skipped Tuesday!

All night I kept thinking about all these Young Men in dark suits and ties aimlessly wandering around airports. I think I was a little worried about them being lost or something. But I know they are in the Lord's hands and if they are obedient they will be guided in whatever situation they are put in. Jason was with a great group of Elders in the MTC and they all became great friends.

From Manila - I understand there is about a 10 hour bus ride to the Cauayan Mission Home and then from there he will get his new companion (trainer) and head off to their area which could be up to 5 more hours of travel.

At this point I assume that Jason has made it to the Cauayan Mission Home and I know for a fact that he is ready to SERVE the Filipino people! We hope to hear from Elder Ward on his P-day which is on Monday!

I am so happy that Jason is finally in the Philippines and on a mission!!! Now the countdown to his return can begin! : ) and I can't wait to hear all the happenings of his mission!

GOOD LUCK ELDER WARD and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!!!

PS - Don't take all of this Travelog as factual .... it is all what I remember him telling me - but I may have gotten some of the facts wrong. I hope that Jason wrote down his journey and when he gets home we will have to compare journal entries!

1 comment:

  1. Sister Ward,
    My husband and I will be serving in Cauayan beginning July 1st. I am so excited to read a little about the mission before then through your son's eyes. We have been praying that good missionaries are being prepared to serve there and I can just feel that your son is one of those precious ones. I look forward to meeting him.
    Sister Brenda Carlos

    ReplyDelete